Are you looking for ways to escape the heat with the kids? Believe it or not, the best waterparks in New York are all accessible and at least one can be reached in under an hour depending on where you live. These summer favorites offer a wide range of attractions that will give everyone a great adventure — with 350-foot slides, rides with exciting twists and turns, or 50-degree drops.
The best part is that kids of any age can enjoy the variety of rides since each park provides wave pools, lazy rivers, or jungle gyms in the water to help the little ones stay cool. No matter how you hope to beat the heat, each of these waterparks in New York will have everything you need to have a blast! It’s never too early or too late to plan a getaway, so be sure to read on below and find out the most thrilling option for you and your family!
Tips To Maximize Your Visit to New York’s Waterparks
If this is your first time going to one of the many waterparks around New York, there are a few things you’ll need to know to ensure you have a great day out in the sun.
- Make sure to grab a park map on your way in to make sure you know where everything is.
- Be sure to check where your kids will be able to play — all waterparks have height requirements depending on the ride. Most parks will offer a kiddie pool for smaller children.
- If the park has a mix of dry and water rides, ride the dry ones first to avoid restrictions. Some parks don’t allow you to ride rollercoasters and dry rides if you’re wearing wet clothing or a swimsuit.
- If they’re available, consider getting a locker for all your valuables to keep them safe and dry while you enjoy the rides and pools.
- For some parks, food and coolers are allowed but remember not to bring anything in glass. Check the park’s requirements before visiting to be sure.
- You may also consider bringing a plastic waterproof holder for your cash and other smaller valuables that you want on your person.
- Remember not to wear sunglasses while in the pools or rides, or have a pair with a strap or lanyard so they don’t fall off.
- Give the water park a call before you go — this will allow you to take advantage of the best discounts while planning for all the activities you want to do.
- Always plan to visit when there is the least traffic. Your best bets would be on weekdays in summer, as well as the regular opening days across May, June, September, and October. Summer weekends are going to be the busiest.
- Remember that smoking is not allowed in most areas of many waterparks.
- Be sure to arrange a meeting place and time for the whole family, so you can all get back together in case you get separated.
- If you’ll be needing a stroller, wheelchair, or other electronic vehicle rentals, arrive early since these are provided on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Ride your favorite rides as soon as the park opens or after 5 pm to avoid the heat of the day, and make your way to the rides that are farthest from the main entrance when you start the day.
- To save some time, make sure to eat an early or late lunch and dinner.
- Ensure that your kids are comfortable before having them go on a ride.
The Best Water Parks in New York
These are the waterparks in New York that you need to visit if you’re looking for a way to cool down from the heat of summer:
Enchanted Forest Water Safari, Old Forge
The Enchanted Forest Water Safari in Old Forge offers fun for the whole family, where you can enjoy more than 50 rides, attractions, and shows! This includes 33 heated outdoor water rides, as well as a hotel, campgrounds, and more. This water safari resort holds the Enchanted Forest Water Safari, Old Forge Camping Resort, Calypso’s Cove Family Fun Park, and the Water’s Edge Inn.
Here are just a few attractions you can look forward to when you visit the Enchanted Forest Water Safari:
- Tidal Wave Pool: This offers a ¼-acre pool that starts off calm but after a few minutes, features four-foot waves.
- Black River: This double tube slide engulfs you in pitch darkness before you hit the pool, giving you the most thrilling ride in the whole park.
- Amazon: Here, you’ll experience a tube ride for the family that goes through the jungle.
- The Curse of the Silverback: This is Enchanted Forest Water Safari’s newest double-tube water ride where riders experience a thrilling 100-foot drop into a large 40-foot-diameter bowl.
- Other rides include Bombay Blasters, Cascade Falls, Kilimanjaro’s Revenge, Lake Nakura, Log Jammer, Mamba Strike, Nairobi Narrows, Raging Rapids, and Rondaxe Run.
- Other attractions include the Safari River Expeditions where the family can see a wide range of creatures that live on the safari and Serengeti Stampede, a 293 ft. long four-lane mat racer.
Address: 3183 State Route 28, Old Forge, NY 13420
Phone: (315) 369-6145
The Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom, Queensbury
Located just three hours away from New York City, The Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom offers a wide range of activities for everyone in the family. From the heart-pounding roller coasters to the kiddie pools, this waterpark provides a great way to spend your summer days having fun. With so many places to see and things to do, you’ll find that there’s no limit to what you can do here.
Because it offers so many different rides, The Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom has divided them into various categories. Here are the most exciting things to do during your stay:
- Water Rides: Adventure River, Bamboo Shoots, Blue Typhoon, Bucket Blasters, Hurricane Bay, Paradise Plunge, Splashwater Island, Tornado, Wahoo Racer, and more.
- Thrill Rides: Adirondack Outlaw, Comet, Condor, Convoy, Extreme Supernova, and more.
- Family Rides: Alice in Wonderland, Alpine Bobsled, Balloon Race, Blizzard, Cannonball Express, Canyon Blaster, Desperado Plunge, Flying Trapeze, and more.
- Kids Rides: Frankie’s Mine Train, Hootie’s Treehouse, Island Air Adventures, Marshal’s Stampede Indoor Bumper Cars, Oakley’s Honey Swings, Sheldon’s Speedway, and more.
The Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom also hosts special events — these usually change and have a specific schedule, so be sure to check their website for more details. You can also catch live shows that will keep you entertained for hours while their shops offer a wide range of toys, souvenirs, and more. There are also restaurants and places for dining within the waterpark, where you can get snacks and healthy food items.
Address: 1172 State Route 9, Queensbury, NY 12804
Phone: (518) 792-3500
Roseland Waterpark, Canandaigua
As the biggest waterpark in the Finger Lakes region, Roseland Waterpark has 56 acres of land for all your adventures, along with 9 exciting attractions that the whole family will enjoy. The locals enjoy many of the luxuries this park offers, including certified lifeguards, sparkling water, rental lockers, and even free parking. You’ll also find that there is a lot of deck space, which makes it one of the most popular spots to cool off from the scorching summer heat.
If you need a break from the thrills of the waterslides, you can also have fun in the waterpark’s Water War Zone, where you can soak your family and friends in an all-out water balloon fight. You can also play beach volleyball on the courts next to the giant wave pool, or visit the gift shop for any items you may have forgotten to pack with you. Finally, the Roseland Café can quench your thirst or provide you with a delicious selection of made-to-order food, snacks, and desserts.
Address: 250 Eastern Blvd, Canandaigua, NY 14424
Phone: (585) 396-2000
Six Flags Great Escape Lodge, Queensbury
The Six Flags Great Escape Lodge is a great place for both fun and relaxation, where you won’t just find all the greatest rides that Six Flags has to offer, but also their luxurious lodges. Designed to create the ideal getaway for your family, many Adirondack-themed suites can accommodate four to twelve guests depending on your needs. Here, you’ll find both traditional suites and themed suites, which offer a warm and rustic charm complete with queen beds, a cozy sitting area, and bunk beds.
There’s also a theme park here, with 135 attractions and rides to choose from — you can be sure there’s something here for everyone! You’ll also find The Comet, known as one of the world’s best roller coasters, or you can take the plunge from Sasquatch, a tower that drops you from 192 feet. You’ll also be able to get away from the sun with Hurricane Harbor’s water attractions.
Address: 89 Six Flags Drive, Queensbury, NY 12804
Phone: (518) 824-6000
Splashdown Beach, Fishkill
Known as America’s Biggest Little Water Park, Splashdown Beach is home to the Megalodon ride, which provides thrill-seekers a near-vertical zero-gravity experience. While this park may not be as big as the others, it offers a range of rides for your kids to choose from. Open from 10 AM to 6 PM, this park offers the perfect summer getaway for little children and all their rides are family-friendly.
Here are the rides that you’ll see during your stay at Splashdown Beach:
- The Megalodon
- Arctic Mammoth
- Arctic Plunge Racer
- Croc Creek Wavy Lazy River
- Water Whirler
- Splash Works
- Bullet Bowl
- Humunga Half-Pipe
- Cowabunga Falls
- Pirates Plunge
- Pirates Revenge
- Monster Wave Pool
- Shipwreck Lagoon
- Coconut Pool
- Rock Beach
If you’re looking for some peace and quiet, be sure to visit on a weekday, when there will be fewer lines and you can enjoy the whole waterpark. There are also a few facilities that you can take advantage of, including an all-day locker rental for $12 for a small locker or $18 for a big locker. The area also offers free parking, but outside food isn’t allowed in the park. You may also want to spend some time by Rock Beach, which holds the event stage where Justin Bieber performed.
Address: 16 Old Route 9 W, Fishkill, NY 12524
Phone: (845) 897-9600
Splish Splash, Riverhead
Known as Long Island’s premier family water park, Splish Splash features 96 acres of fun for the whole family, with 20 slides, rides, and attractions. This includes two wave pools, a lazy river, a huge kiddie area, and several brand-new rides. You can be sure that there’s something here for everyone — special events, dining options, gift shops, and picnic areas are just a few things that make this park a delight to visit.
Here are just a few things you can look forward to should you plan to visit Splish Splash:
- Kiddie slides
- Riptide Racer
- Yellow Submarine
- Max Trax
- Hollywood Stunt Rider
- Dragon’s Den
- Dinosaur Falls
- Soak City
- And more
Voted one of the best water parks in the country by the Travel Channel, Splish Splash is the perfect place for family reunions, birthday parties, and group outings. Due to its entertainment, delicious food, and friendly staff, it has everything you need to ensure you have a fantastic day in the sun.
Address: 2549 Splish Splash Drive, Calverton, NY 11933
Phone: (631) 727-3600
Palm Island Indoor Waterpark, Batavia
The Palm Island Indoor Water Park, located at The Clarion Hotel is an indoor water park that’s ideal for kids under the age of 12. It features two 24-foot-tall slides with LED lighting, a swim and play lagoon, and more. You’ll have access to locker rentals and changing rooms, along with a concession stand where you can order hamburgers, chicken fingers, pizza, and more.
There are also plenty of rides and areas for you to enjoy here, including:
- Blue Barracuda
- Monsoon Lagoon
- Underwater Lighted Pool
- Birthday Party Rooms
- Single Racer Slide
If you want to have a good night’s rest in Batavia, you will have a memorable stay at the Palm Island Indoor Waterpark’s Quality Inn & Suites. Apart from the on-site indoor water park, you’ll also enjoy free continental breakfast, free Wi-Fi, and a game room for the kids. With all these amenities, there’s no better place to spend your weekend getaway while getting your money’s worth for each night you stay.
Address: 8250 Park Rd, Batavia, NY 14020
Phone: (585) 344-2100
Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, Darien
If you live around the Buffalo area, you’ll be happy to know that Six Flags at Darien Lake is less than an hour away. Children will love exploring every ride that this waterpark has to offer, where the family will see new attractions every season, beautiful culinary dishes, heart-pounding rides, and world-class entertainment. Make sure to check out the website to see the latest and greatest before you visit, so you can make the most out of your day.
Here are just a few rides you will want to get to first, along with various activities they offer:
- Bear Valley Bumper Buggies
- Darien Lake Railway
- Special Events
- Live Shows
When you get famished after going through all the activities available here, be sure to stop by the park’s restaurants, where your cravings will be satisfied with salty snacks, sweet treats, and even healthy options. Furthermore, you’ll have fun walking through the shops here, where you’ll be able to take home one-of-a-kind souvenirs, toys, and decorative pieces.
Address: 9993 Alleghany Rd, Corfu, NY 14036
Phone: (585) 599-4641
Thunder Island, Fulton
Thunder Island is the best place to be during summer, where you’ll find all kinds of attractions and waterslides. Inside this island, you’ll find eight thrilling water slides, a gorgeous 18-hole miniature golf course, a Grand Prix, and two-seater go-karts! Make your way down to the Thunder Rush or soar through the eagle zip line — no matter where you go, you’ll find excitement around every corner.
There are also new rides and attractions opening this year, where kids can enjoy laser tag, an arcade, and a scrumptious ice cream parlor. When the little ones get hungry, the Sliders Cafe will be open for all your snacking and lunchtime needs. The outdoor pavilion also provides the perfect location for reunions, picnics, birthdays, and more!
Address: 21 Wilcox Road, Fulton, NY
Phone: (315) 598-8016
Zoom Flume, East Durham
At Zoom Flume, you can experience the thrill of a lifetime, where the adrenaline-pumping Typhoon Twister is located. Located in East Durham, New York, this waterpark is named after the first ride ever built there. Here, you’ll find eight slides, five play areas, and four restaurants to choose from. Zoom Flume is open to the public from the end of June until Labor Day, so be sure to come in and have fun before time runs out!
Here are just a few thrilling rides you’ll experience here:
- Wild River Ride
- Black Vortex
- Mighty Anaconda
- Grand Prix Splashway
- Lagoon Activity Pool
Before you make your way there, be sure to check the website for updates on COVID-19 for tips and guidelines on social distancing. Keep in mind that there might be restrictions on how the attractions will operate.
Address: 20 Shady Glen Rd, East Durham, NY 12423
Phone: (518) 239-6271
Start Planning Your Trip to the Best Waterparks in New York
Be sure to visit any one of these waterparks to see the best summer destinations in the great state of New York. If the kids are bored of the small inflatable pool in the backyard, this list and the options above are lifesavers. So what are you waiting for? Pack your bags and your kids and head over to the park closest to you to cool off from the scorching temperatures.
Be sure to also check out our list of the best indoor water parks where you can enjoy amazing water slides and pools year round!