As you set out on your vacation and explore new countries and cities, it can be quite challenging to fill a day that is enjoyable for the entire family. You may want to go try out the best golf course in the area while your wife wants to relax at a nearby hot spring. When you factor in kids everything changes. That is why aquariums offer the best of both worlds. Not only is observing the world under the sea entertaining for all ages, but it gives a new perspective on conservation and what the world is doing to protect marine life. These days aquariums have thousands of species, tons of exhibits and activities to do, and memories that will last a lifetime.
The United States has some of the world’s best aquariums, which are home to a wide variety of ocean life including sharks, dolphins, and species of fish. The best part about the visiting an aquarium is they provide a way for us to experience the undersea world without getting our feet wet (well maybe top …
Aquariums by American State
Let’s dive into which aquariums are the best to visit and what makes them stand out from the rest.
Aquariums by Country
For now we will focus on the best aquariums in the United States, but be sure to check back soon as we branch out and provide you with some of the best aquariums in the world!
Guide to Aquariums around the World
The greatest part of visiting an aquarium near you is the vast amount of species you can interact with. Just imagine being able to walk around underwater with sharks swimming all around you. Or being able to touch a stringray as they swim up to you to say hi. Many aquariums these days offer several exhibits and live demonstrations to make you feel as if you are part of the marine life. It’s no wonder over 700 million people head to aquariums each year.
In the United States there are 100+ aquariums you can travel too, although you most likely will find what you are looking for near where you live. Some aquariums boast the largest tanks in the country, while others focus on preservation efforts or conservation of coral reefs. To spend a day discovering the world under the sea is one of the greatest experiences you and your family will have so why not put it on your bucket list for your next vacation!
Here are a few reasons why it’s great to head to an aquarium near you:
1. Aquariums can be enjoy by both adults and kids.
For kids the excitement of exploring a whole new world and being able to interact with aquatic life will open up their minds and imagination to new experiences. Aquariums also teach the youth about different habitats, species of mammals, and most importantly what we are doing to help conserve and protect our wildlife. It’s also a chance to get kids away from video games for a day and have them stay active as they wonder the facility looking for fish they can touch. At the end of the day kids are our future and having them learn about life under the sea may spark an interest in being the next marine biologist.
For adults the aquarium is a great place to go and unwind. Many people have small aquariums in their house as there is something peaceful about watching tropical fish swim around and through coral or sunken ships. When you multiple that by 1000x and can view sharks, giant octopus, and even whales, the rigors of day to day life instantly fade away. Heading to a local aquarium near you will get adults back in a better state of mental health as well as making sure your kids are nice and tired after a fun day. It’s also ok to not have to be an adult for a day and take on the role of when you were young, running around and exploring new and exciting things.
2. Make sure you plan for you trip to an Aquarium
Most aquariums near you will offer a ton of exhibits and shows for you to enjoy, all while teaching you about different habitats and aquatic life. Some things to prepare for before your adventure are:
- Wear comfortable shoes – Most facilities can’t be observed in an hour or two and usually will consist of at least a half day if not the entire day. You will most likely be walking a lot more than you are use to so having some comfortable shoes will reduce the amount of breaks you take.
- Research parking in the area – You may find the aquarium has public parking, but depending on where it’s located you may need to use public transportation. There are also fees associated with parking at most facilities so carry some cash on hand to save time
- Plan what events you want to attend – Many aquariums near you will have daily shows and events you won’t want to miss. Some will even have special events held a day or two in a given month. Do a little research and map out which exhibits or shows are most important to you so you don’t scramble around and miss out on the best features the aquatic facility has to offer.
- Learn the basics – People often forget to check some of the more important details on visiting an aquarium. Go online and take a quick peak at the hours of operation, any discounts that may be available, parking options, dining options, and when the attraction center is busiest. Knowing some of these things will make sure you have the most enjoyable experience possible.
We often hear “What’s the best aquarium near me?” The answer will often surprise you, but the best way to learn the answer is to go check them all out. No aquarium is the same!
After a fun day at an aquarium, consider some other attractions in the area to complete your perfect vacation: