Gay is an English word that has no direct translation in Arabic. However, there are a number of ways to express the concept in Arabic. One way to do so is by using the terms “mahjoub”, “mithli”, or “muhajab” which both mean gay man or homosexual male. Another term for a gay person used in some Arab countries is “shaz” which literally means effeminate man.
Arabic Words for Gay
For lesbian women, the words “musahiqa” and “musahiqatun” are sometimes used to express their sexual orientation. In addition to these specific terms, there are general slang expressions that can be employed when referring to someone who identifies as LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender/transsexual). A common phrase used throughout much of the Arab world is “hayawan jinsi” which translates into English as “sexual animal”. This expression may have originated from a derogatory comment made against members of this community but it has since been reclaimed and now serves as a term of endearment among many LGBTQ+ people living in Arabic-speaking countries.
Example Sentences of using the word Gay in Arabic
1. That guy is so gay! – هذا الرجل شاذ جدا! – hadha alrajul shadh jidaa!
2. Stop being such a gay ass. – توقف عن كونك مثل هذا الحمار مثلي الجنس – tawaqaf ean kawnik mithl hadha alhimar mithlay aljins
3. She’s acting like a real gaylord right now. – إنها تتصرف مثل اللورد الحقيقي في الوقت الحالي – iinaha tatasaraf mithl alluward alhaqiqii fi alwaqt alhalii
4. Don’t be such a fucking gay. – لا تكن مثل هذا اللعين – la takun mithl hadha allaein
5. Stay away from that extremely gay dude over there. – ابتعد عن ذلك الرجل الشاذ للغاية هناك – aibtaeid ean dhalik alrajul alshaadhi lilghayat hunak
6. What an unbelievably stupid and gay idea! – يا لها من فكرة غبية ومثلي الجنس بشكل لا يصدق! – ya laha min fikrat ghabiat wamithli aljins bishakl la yusadiqu!
7. I can’t believe he just did something that freaking gay – لا أصدق أنه فعل شيئًا مثليًا غريبًا – la ‘usadiq ‘anah fieal shyyan mthlyan ghryban
8. This conversation is getting way too damn homosexual for me to handle. – أصبحت هذه المحادثة شاذة للغاية بالنسبة لي – asbahat hadhih almuhadathat shadhatan lilghayat bialnisbat li
9. You have got to be the most homo kid in school. – يجب أن تكون أكثر طفل مثلي في المدرسة – yajib ‘an takun ‘akthar tifl mithliin fi almadrasa
Due to cultural taboos around homosexuality and gender nonconformity within most Arab societies, it can be difficult for individuals who identify with these labels to find acceptance and understanding from those around them.