Goodnight is a universal way to say goodbye and wish someone well before they sleep. In Croatia, this simple phrase has several different ways of being expressed. Here are some of the most common Croatian phrases for wishing goodnight:
How to Say Goodnight in Croatian
1. Laku noć – This translates literally as “good night” in English, but it’s also commonly used to express love and affection towards another person. It can be used between family members or close friends who are saying farewell.
2. Sretno spavaj – This phrase means “sleep well” and is often used when bidding someone a pleasant and restful sleep before they go to bed at night.
3. Mirna noć – Translated directly as “calm night”, this expression conveys wishes for peaceful dreams during the night ahead.
4. Budi zdrav i sretan/a – Literally meaning “be healthy and happy”, this is an uplifting way of expressing good wishes that carry into the next day ahead of them.
5. Noćas se lijepo odmori – A direct translation would be “Rest nicely tonight”, which expresses a sincere hope that someone will have a good quality sleep.
6. Zdravim snovima – An optimistic take on saying goodbye at nighttime. “Healthy Dreams”.
Example Sentences using Goodnight in Croatian
1. Have a goodnight, sweet dreams – Laku noć i lijepi snovi
2. I’m off to bed, goodnight everyone – Idem u krevet laku noć svima
3. Goodnight Mom, love you – Laku noć mama volim te
4. May the stars light your way this evening, goodnight friend – Neka ti zvijezde osvjetljavaju put ovu večer, laku noć prijatelju
5. Time to turn in for the night, goodnight world – Vrijeme je da se okrenemo na noć, laku noć svijete