Excuse me is an important phrase to know when traveling in Croatia. Whether you are asking someone for directions, wanting to get by on a crowded street or simply trying to be polite, knowing how to say excuse me in Croatian can help make your experience more enjoyable. Here are some ways you can use the phrase “excuse me” in Croatia:
How to Say Excuse Me In Croatian
1. Oprostite – This is the most common way of saying ‘excuse me’ in Croatian and it works for any situation where you need to politely interrupt someone or ask them something.
2. Ispričavam se – This phrase literally translates as ‘I apologize’ but it can also be used as a way of saying excuse me.
3. Izvinite – Another popular way of expressing regret and apologizing at the same time, this one works best when trying to get someone’s attention from afar or if there are multiple people involved.
4. Molim vas – A slightly less formal variation on oprostite, this one would work well for situations where politeness isn’t absolutely necessary, but still appreciated such as asking a shopkeeper for assistance or requesting information from locals about attractions around town
5. Pažnja! – If you really need somebody’s immediate attention then pažnja (pronounced pazh-nya) is probably the best way of getting their attention quickly without sounding overly rude. Tt literally means ‘attention’.
6. Jeste li spremni? – Meaning ‘are you ready’, jeste li spremni could be used while waiting outside a restaurant before being seated or calling out orders at a bar.
7. Želim da pitam nešto – Also known as zelim da postavim pitanje (I’d like to ask something), this version may sound quite long but conveys politeness and respect which makes it perfect for situations involving strangers.
Example Sentences using Excuse Me In Croatian
1. Excuse me, can you tell me the way to the nearest store? – Ispričavam se, možete li mi reći kako doći do najbliže trgovine?
2. Excuse me, could I borrow a pen from you? – Ispričavam se, mogu li od vas posuditi olovku?
3. Excuse me, do you know what time it is? – Ispričavam se, znate li koliko je sati sada?
4. Excuse me, can I help you with something? – Ispričavam se, mogu li vam nešto pomoći?
5. Excuse me, have we met before? – Ispričavam se jesmo li već ranije upoznali?