Goodbye can be a difficult word to say in any language, but it’s especially important to know how to say goodbye properly in Croatia. Saying goodbye the right way will leave a positive impression on your Croatian friends and show that you respect their culture. Here are some of the most common ways to say Goodbye in Croatia:
How to Say Goodbye in Croatian
1. Zbogom – This is the most commonly used phrase for saying goodbye, similar to “farewell” or “so long” in English. It literally means “to God” and expresses good wishes for someone else’s journey or success.
2. Doviđenja – This phrase is typically used when parting from people who you plan on seeing again soon, such as family members or close friends. It translates as “until we meet again” and implies that you hope for another meeting soon!
3. Laku noć – You might hear this phrase being said at night time when people are leaving each other after spending an evening together, like saying “goodnight” in English. It literally means “have a pleasant night”.
4. U redu – Although not strictly reserved only for farewells, this expression may also be used when bidding someone adieu and wishing them well on their way home or elsewhere they need to go. It simply means “all right” and serves as a friendly reminder that everything should turn out all right during their travels.
5. Sretno/Sretan put – This expression carries with it best wishes for safe travels. Both phrases mean something along the lines of “have a safe journey”.
6. Bok – A less formal version of zbogom , bok is often heard among younger people who use it interchangeably with zdravo (hello) ; its literal meaning is “by God”.
7. Ostani u dobrom zdravlju – While not necessarily meant specifically as a farewell greeting, this expression “stay healthy” conveys hopes that one stays fine while away.
8. Nasvidenje – Another informal variation of doviđenja , nasvidenje essentially has the same meaning but is much less formal than its counterpart.
Example Sentences using Goodbye in Croatian
1. Goodbye, it was so nice meeting you – Zbogom, bilo je lijepo što smo se upoznali
2. I’ll say goodbye for now. – Reći ću zbogom za sada
3. Goodbye and good luck – Zbogom i sretno
4. Goodbye and have a great day – Zbogom i uživajte u prekrasan dan
5. It’s time for me to say goodbye now. – Sad je vrijeme da kažem zbogom