Virgin Creek Falls is a beautiful and serene waterfall located in a remote little town known as Girdwood, Alaska. The falls are made up of two tiers that drop over 100 feet into the Virgin Creek below. It is one of the most popular attractions within the city, drawing visitors from all over to witness its beauty and take pictures with friends and family.
Details about Virgin Creek Falls
The upper part of the falls can be accessed by an easy half-mile hike through a densely forested area on Virgin Creek Trail. At the top of the trail, you’ll find yourself standing at the edge of a large pool with views down to where Virgin Creek cascades over several ledges before plunging into a deep canyon below. This is where most enjoy snapping photos as well as taking some time to relax and enjoy a peaceful moment admiring this natural wonder before heading back towards town.
If you’re feeling adventurous, there are water activities like kayaking or rafting down Virgin Creek past the falls themselves! This exciting way to experience them allows for close up views while taking advantage of some thrilling rapids along your journey. No matter how you choose to experience it, visiting Virgin Creek Falls should definitely be on your list when visiting Girdwood.
Directions to Virgin Creek Falls
1. Start from Alyeska Resort and take the Alyeska Highway south for about 10 miles.
2. Turn left onto Portage Glacier Road and follow it until you reach a parking lot at the end of the road.
3. Park your car in the parking lot and then follow signs to Virgin Creek Falls Trailhead which will be on your right-hand side. The trailhead is located just past an old bridge over Virgin Creek, so keep an eye out for that landmark as you walk along!
4. Once you’ve reached the trailhead, take a short hike down to Virgin Creek Falls – it’s only about 1/2 mile from start to finish! You’ll see some amazing views of mountainside forests and streams along the way too!
5. When you arrive at Virgin Creek Falls, enjoy this breathtaking sight before heading back up to your car or continuing on with other adventures in Girdwood!