The DeSoto Waterfall is located in DeSoto State Park, near Mentone, Alabama. The waterfall is one of the most popular attractions in the park and it has become a favorite spot for hikers and nature lovers alike. The falls are created by Little River which cascades down over two tiers of rock formations in a stunning display of natural beauty.
Details about DeSoto Falls
DeSoto Falls is named after Hernando de Soto who explored this area during his travels through North America in 1540. It is believed that he discovered these falls during his journey and was captivated by their beauty. The waterfall can be seen from several observation decks built around the area or accessed via several trails leading to its base.
At 93 feet high, DeSoto Falls is one of the highest waterfalls in Alabama and visitors often come here to admire its majestic beauty or take pictures with family members or friends as they enjoy the peaceful atmosphere surrounding them. Visitors can also take part in various activities such as fishing, swimming, canoeing/kayaking, camping and more while admiring this breathtaking sight!
Directions to DeSoto Falls
1. Head north on I-59 N toward Exit 180 for AL-176 W/Gadsden
2. Take exit 180 for AL-176 W/Gadsden
3. Turn left onto AL-176 W/Piedmont Cutoff Rd
4. Continue straight onto Lookout Mountain Pkwy
5. Turn right onto US-11 N/US 11 Alt N
6. Turn left onto County Road 613 (this will be signposted as “Little River Canyon Nat’l Preserve”)
7. Follow signs for Desoto State Park and take the park road until you reach the falls parking lot at mile marker 7
1 .Head south on I – 565 E toward exit 8B for SR 72 E / US 231 S
2 .Take exit 8B for SR 72 E / US 231 S
3 .Continue straight onto SR 72 E
4 .Turn right onto AL – 35 S
5 .Turn left onto County Road 613 (signposted as “Little River Canyon Nat’l Preserve”)
6 .Follow signs for Desoto State Park and take the park road until you reach the falls parking lot at mile marker 7